DIY Review: Eggshell Seed Starter

Last year I read a blog on how to grow seedlings in eggshells. I thought it was a cute idea and so I thought I would give it a try. The internet is full of “how to” articles for eggshell seed starters, but if you are interested, here is the post I read.

I used organic eggs that came in a plastic container. My thought was that since the cover was clear, the closed cover would create a mini green house and help keep the plants from drying out. This worked but not that well as the plastic seed starter you buy at the store. I guess when closed, the egg container still allowed too much moisture to escape.

The post I read said to poke 6 holes into the bottom of the eggshell. I must have missed that part because I only put one hole in each shell. Due to my mistake, when I watered the plants and water fell to the bottom of the egg cups, my eggshells began to float. This caused the eggshells to tilt. Having more holes in the eggshells would have allowed the plants to absorb some of the excess water. I think it would have also helped with keeping the moisture within the egg carton.

Another problem I faced with this seed starter was the eggshells themselves. It was very messy trying to crack the shells so that the majority of the shell was intact. I had to crack the egg closer to the small end of the egg. This is much harder than it sounds. I spent a lot of time picking out little pieces of eggshell out of my eggs.

When the seedlings were ready to be replanted, removing the eggshell was nearly impossible. Have you ever had a hardboiled egg that was extremely difficult to peel? I have, and when I finally finished peeling the egg, most of the egg was removed with the shell. This is exactly how it was for me when removing the eggshell from the seedling. The roots attached themselves to the inner layer of the eggshell. I was finally able to remove the seedlings from the shell but not without ripping a few roots along the way. The seedlings replanted fine so it doesn’t seem that the ripping of the roots had caused too much damage.

I made a couple of mistakes with this project, but the plants seem to be going great. Although I achieved my goal, I do not recommend this project. I don’t believe it is worth the extra time, aggravation and effort. You can purchase plastic seed starters that are inexpensive, easier to use, easier on the young plants and are reusable.

DSCN0623
copyright ModernCatholicWoman 2016
DSCN0688
copyright ModernCatholicWoman.com
DSCN0686
copyright Moderncatholicwoman.com
DSCN0826
copyright moderncatholicwoman.com

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s